According to sources, the fire erupted due to a short circuit in the main electric supply system in the basement of the building located in Indore’s Swarn Bagh colony around 3:10 am.
Indore: At least seven persons, including two women, died after a fire broke out at a residential building in Madhya Pradesh’s Indore on Saturday morning. As many as five others have been hospitalised, said the police.
While the preliminary investigation shows the possibility of a short circuit, the actual report is awaited. According to sources, the fire erupted due to a short circuit in the main electric supply system in the basement of the building located in Indore’s Swarn Bagh colony around 3:10 am when the residents were asleep. The fire then spread to the two-wheelers and vehicles parked there and rapidly burnt down the entire building.
Watch the video here:
The owner of the building, Ansar Patel, has been detained and a case has been filed for investigation. According to sources, a case against Patel has been filed over his negligence that led to the deaths. The police said no fire safety equipment was installed at the building.
Taking to Twitter, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan said, “The sad news of the untimely demise of many precious lives was received in the accident due to a short circuit in Swarn Bagh Colony of Indore. I pray to God to give place to the departed souls at his feet and give strength to the family members to bear this deep sorrow and to give speedy recovery to the injured.”
He added, “The news of death in Indore fire incident is extremely heartbreaking. I have ordered an inquiry into it. Strict action will be taken against whoever is found to be negligent. Rs 4 lakh each will be given to the next of kin of the deceased.”